I am thrilled to report that the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act was signed by President Obama last week.
This is the first federal law encouraging states to require schools to keep lifesaving epinephrine auto-injectors on hand for use in allergic emergencies for students with anaphylaxis.
Anaphylaxis is a severe, potentially life-threatening allergic reaction which can occur within seconds or minutes when exposed to an allergen (e.g. foods, such as peanuts, or the venom from a bee sting). Immediate use of epinephrine is the standard-of-care for children and adults at the first sign of a severe allergic reaction, which can involve one or more symptoms of the skin, mouth, eyes, lungs, heart, gut and brain. Read more